Justin Lute (now over at Qualys) sent this around several months ago. Since then, others have asked for this which is why I'm posting it here.
" It is easy to download N1k & VSG, and install in your lab (there are multiple videos that outline the process). I am providing all the required links in this email. If you want try this in a lab setting, please visit http://cloudlab.cisco.com.
- VSG Overview & Evaluation Download: http://www.cisco.com/go/vsg or you can download the image from this site..
- Nexus 1000v Overview & Evaluation Download: http://www.cisco.com/go/nexus1000v
- VSG & N1kv Demo Labs: http://cloudlab.cisco.com
- Overview Videos around VSG & N1k: http://www.brighttalk.com/webcasts?q=virtualization+insights
- Deployment Guides & Videos: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/community/products/nexus1000v
- Installation videos: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/vsg/sw/4_2_1_VSG_1_1/video/VSG_VNMC_install/Part1_VSG_VNMC_install.html
- VSG Support page: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11208/tsd_products_support_model_home.html and troubleshooting... http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/vsg/sw/4_2_1_VSG_1_1/troubleshooting/guide/VSG_TS.html
- Introduction to NX-OS system messages: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/system_messages/reference/sl_intro.html